The Big Read thinks the average adult has only read six of the top 100 books they've printed below.
1) Look at the list and bold those you have read.
2) Italicize those you intend to read.
3) Reprint this list in your own LJ so we can try and track down these people who've read 6 and force books upon them.
1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
2. The Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkien
3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
4. Harry Potter series – JK Rowling
5. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
6. The Bible
7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
8. Nineteen Eighty Four – George Orwell
9. His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman
10. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
11. Little Women – Louisa M Alcott
12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy
13. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
14. Complete Works of Shakespeare
16. The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien
17. Birdsong – Sebastian Faulks
18. Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
19. The Time Traveller's Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
20. Middlemarch – George Eliot
21. Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell
22. The Great Gatsby – F Scott Fitzgerald
23. Bleak House – Charles Dickens
24. War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
25. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
26. Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh
27. Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28. Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
29. Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
30. The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
31. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
32. David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
33. Chronicles of Narnia – C.S. Lewis
34. Emma – Jane Austen
35. Persuasion – Jane Austen
36. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis
37. The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
38. Captain Corelli's Mandolin – Louis De Bernieres
39. Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
40. Winnie the Pooh – AA Milne
41. Animal Farm – George Orwell
42. The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown
43. One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44. A Prayer for Owen Meaney – John Irving
45. The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins
46. Anne of Green Gables – LM Montgomery
47. Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
48. The Handmaid's Tale – Margaret Atwood
49. Lord of the Flies – William Golding
50. Atonement – Ian McEwan
51. Life of Pi – Yann Martel
52. Dune – Frank Herbert
53. Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
54. Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
55. A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth
56. The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
57. A Tale Of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
58. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
59. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – Mark Haddon
60. Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
61. Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
62. Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
63. The Secret History – Donna Tartt
64. The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold
65. Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
66. On The Road – Jack Kerouac
67. Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy
68. Bridget Jones' Diary – Helen Fielding
69. Midnight's Children – Salman Rushdie
70. Moby Dick – Herman Melville
71. Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
72. Dracula – Bram Stoker
73. The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
74. Notes From A Small Island – Bill Bryson
75. Ulysses – James Joyce
76. The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
77. Swallows and Amazons – Arthur Ransome
78. Germinal – Emile
79. Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray
80. Possession – AS Byatt
81. A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
82. Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
83. The Color Purple – Alice Walker
84. The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
85. Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
86. A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry
87. Charlotte's Web – E.B. White
88. The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Albom
89. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
90. The Faraway Tree Collection – Enid Blyton
91. Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
92. The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) – Antoine De Saint-Exupery
93. The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks
94. Watership Down – Richard Adams
95. A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
96. A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute
97. The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
98. Hamlet – William Shakespeare
99. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
100. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo
Also 20/100 - I prefer my horror and crime.... But pleasantly surprised :)
Alot has changed, work is fine, love life is.... single, scouts is... stressful and I'm ill as usual
Rob and I are over, his reasoning I mean to much to him, I'm too good for him and he doesn't want to hurt me, well if that isn't a random reason I don't know what is. Needless to say I din't take it to well, but I'm on the mend, not one I'm likely to bounce back from too quickly!
However the break up made me realise my life was on hold for someone else, I had put on hold buying a house, I had considered moving up north, I was babysitting a scorpion, and my life started to revolve around him :(. I made a kinda snap decsision, but it's turning out to be the best decision I may ever make. I'm off to uni. I'm heading off to study Law and I've already had an offer without sending off my UCAS. It'll be hard but I need to do it, I cannot spend my life being the office bitch. I'm fed up to the back teeth with it!
Cubs well I'll have to say goodbye in September, I can't do everything, but I love them to bits. However one of them is now suspended after biting one of the others randomly in a meeting, so hard he left teeth marks 2 hours later and bruising, THROUGH A JUMPER! so just a tad stressful, i really have better things to be doing than to be threatened by parents because of a miserable little sod with no communication skills! But oh well, I'll live and the pack will survive, damn children, now I know why they say you should work with children or animals.
Other stuff has happened but I have nothing further to explain than the pics that are already on fb. so ummmmm yeah...
- Current Mood: blah
- Current Music:Silence in the office :(
Old... still working at Cognosis got a bonus and a pay rise at the end of June which I’m very pleased about makes very little difference to my actual pay packet, but in the long run I means I’m worth more :)
Current... with a wonderful guy, Rob, we’ve been friends for almost 3 years; he and I know about each others chaotic love lives and are now together. Crazy but I’m enjoying it :) been together just over 1 month. He’s a reptile enthusiast and Scout as well as drummer, Capoeira student and gorgeous (well i think so and surely that's what matters :) ) :D. He works in Millets while he’s home and has just graduated from Bangor University with a degree in Zoology. September he’s off to work at Chester Zoo for a year unpaid in the Herpetology (reptile) department. He’s so excited :), and I’m pleased for him. It’ll be hard (what is it with me and men moving away) but we have a great friendship base, and unlike a lot of men replies to my texts he he. I’m going to go visit him loads and he hopes to come back and see me.
Scout-wise my boys are stars, I have a pack of 16, I invested (introduced them formally into the pack) over the past two Wednesdays, highly nerve-wracking with all of their parents watching, but I am so proud of them. They are a huge change from when I took over the pack, boys were moving house and getting too old so going to scouts and my numbers dwindles I was getting so disheartened, but now they’ve done it all by them selves and made me proud :D. My leaders are a headache as well but I can deal with that, they love to create a drama, but my boys behave so well I can ignore them hehe!
New... I am looking forward so much to being 21, going out and being able to get in anywhere :D whoop whoop!!! Also looking forward to the Gang Show... I’m the choreographer for the kids, I have 3 dance groups each with 9 in them, and they are brilliant! I can’t believe how enthusiastic they are, the producer is hard work, she gives me this role and changes stuff, but the kids are great and are adorable as well, I have the usual problem few but other than that really looking forward to October :).
Also Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee going to see The Dark Knight in IMAX :) I cannot wait... will tell all when i get back on here :D
Oh and 1 last note... NEVER get a Samsung G600, I’m on my 2nd, it’s been repaired for a signal fault and is still playing up Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
- Current Mood: Wide Awake... Novelty
- Current Music:Breaking The Code - Danny Elfman
I am muchly enjoying life atm, commuting, working, scouting etc etc, looking forward to some holidays in the pipeline. Weekend away with GS Sarah to Pevensey + Some, weekend to Bristol just because, and a roadtrip with Bubs ASAP!!!!! Nowhere too far afield (sadly) but getting used to a frugal lifestyle if I can.
That's the other big news, I'm looking into moving out, planning for probably a years time, doing my research and praying the housing market crash is well timed. doing it in a year means i can put some extra money away, for diong it up etc, make a good job of it. I want my first place to be as decent as it can. moving towards Sutton so i can be nearer my friends, going out places etc and better transport links.
It's scary though, the thought of being alone somewhere, being reliant on myself, and shock horror i may have to learn how to cook more than just Yellow Food (thanks David) and ready meals. Anyone who is willing to tutor please apply below...
In other news, had a huge catch up session last weekend at Bubs AWESOME birthday party, realised some people i hadn't seen in 1-2 years... really weird how you drift apart without meaning to, but it meant a good old gossip on life etc as we got progressivley more drunk :)
Thinking of growing my hair long again (wish to avoid becoming a mop head again - Bubs!!!) and probably goin Black again, but knowing me it'll get halfway there and i'll chop it all off again!
New lifestyle, means BIG changes, trying to limit excess (never been good at that, net shopping is tooooooooo tempting). so no more new shoes, healthy eating without buying the flashinest newest meals etc (just eating less of regular stuff!!!), i'm also swimming every morning and walking 7+ miles every Saturday (stops me going shopping instead!) trying to limit pub lunches (until bubs fancies lunch again) taking packed lunches etc
Well this is the most random post ever, just everything going through my head in the randomest order... lolz mum just came in to show me a woodlouse she found (i used to love woodlice) Love my mum (despite our huge row last night about me thinking of moving out)
Have had a erally good week speanding time with awesome friends and getting in at ridiculous times in the morning. Also started Gang Show auditions, it's really exciting this year i have 2 junior dance groups age 9-12, one of 14 and one of 12, (so heart wrenching having to turn any of them down... too cute)
Anyway, end of random mind wander, gonna have to get back into the swing of updating this as i really do miss the feel of mind splurging!
Hope everyone is good
- Current Location:Home
- Current Mood: Bouncy
- Current Music:Unfaithful - Rhianna
I work as Team Administrator for a management consultancy firm in the West End www.cognosis.co.uk i love it so much. I'm an Akela with cubs, assistant leader with 2 explorer units, junior choreographer with GLSW county show, single but having fun AND LOVING LIFE :)
Part of me does feel I'm missing out on uni etc and the social life, but another part of me just can't be arsed with the whole uni life. right now I'm loving having money, socialising in swanky West End night spots, and being able to plan a time when I might actually move out the house and get my own place :)
Feels odd writing all this down, other stuff has happened but I'll go into that later.
1 thing is for sure. I miss the common room, I miss being able to randomly turn round to someone and get a response to a completely random comment lol. I'm the youngest here and it feels it sometimes, but only sometimes, and everyone has been great.
21 this october... how scary is that!
Anyways, I really should be doing some work :)
- Current Mood: happy-ness
* I'm now Akela (big boss leader) of my cub pack, more responsibility but i have one great young leader who i trust with my life and he's a star :D
* I have a bloke, yay, younger but... likes cars and bikes, now has a tat, is sensitive, makes me feel like a princess but sexy as well, understands the annoyance of not replying to texts and loves communication :) I'm holding on to him, I mean he texted me from Spain when on holiday! Also I'm HAPPY! I'm falling fast but i like it, I still feel slightly in control because he seems to be feeling the same.... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
* I have the tattoo i wanted so much at school, photo to join soon, my black widow spider on my hip, and i now understand the 'bug' of tattoos! Thank you Mima... XxXxX
* Work is calm atm, got a new assistant that i worked with last summer, younger than me but good to have a laugh with :) but also at work she does her job i do mine everything goes smoothly, but if i have to ask her to do something she does it... which means i'm more likely to help her out if need be... which i do :)
* Saw Metallica last night supported by Machin Head, HIM and Mastodon... SOOOOOO GOOD!
Basically I'm HAPPY! and i have holiday next week, Pev with Adey :D
Muchos Lovos XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
- Current Mood: Done it :)
Contrary to popular belief, I am actually alive, working hard, still single and partying like a goodn.
Last night was mum and dads 50th b'day party, FREE ALCOHOL, and with katie behind the bar sneaking doubles lets just say more than a pint of water will be required to remove the small annoying man in my head currently banging a drum! TOO LOUDLY!!!!!
Much love to all
Picked up my new car last night
She's so Perdy, I'm being really careful, trust me, nothing reminds more that you're not indestructable than a good old crash! FOOKING SCARY I tell you!
Anyway, sitting at work at the mo, trying to pass the time before i set off to pev :D
Hope you're all ok and that you're having a good time, sorry I won't be at prizegiving, but I'll be thinking of you all having to listen to the Scottish Spinster ;P
Love to you all
- Current Mood: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY